Jesus gives the perfect tip: “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets” (Matthew 22:37-40).
Each law reflects “the law of love”—that is, God’s laws reveal timeless principles about how to love God and love people!
Take the Big 10 for example:
1. You shall have no other gods = love the Lord with everything you’ve got (heart, soul, mind)
2. Don’t make idols = love the Lord by worshipping him “in spirit and in truth” (John 4:23-24)
3. Don’t misuse God’s name = love the Lord by doing everything to honor Jesus’ name (Colossians 3:17)
4. Work 6 days, keep the Sabbath = love the Lord by working heartily as serving him, yet resting in his love (Colossians 3:23-24; Matthew 11:29)
5. Honor your parents = love your parents (and family) by respecting and preserving their dignity (Romans 12:10)
6. Do not murder = love mean people by overcoming evil with good (Romans 12:21)
7. Do not commit adultery = love your spouse (and family) with everything you’ve got (heart, soul, mind)
OK, your turn! What timeless truths about love do you find in the last three?
8. Don’t steal =
9. Don’t bear false witness =
10. Don’t covet =
It’s fun, isn’t it? Yeah, I love this stuff, too.